Remember that time when every landing page tried to look exactly the same as Stripe? Candy gradients, smooth fonts, skewed shapes, soft shadows and so on… I think there was even a blog post with a collection of similar sites.
But anyway, it’s August 2018. Maybe it’s time for some new trends? Absolutely! And they have evolved a little bit. It’s less about site design itself, it’s more about illustrations. Lots of illustrations.
So here’s the Ultimate Guide To Designing Landing Pages in 2018:
- Put some copy on the left side + illustration on another. That doesn’t sound so new, does it? But bear with me…
- Draw random curved shape. Like you spilled paint on a canvas. This is gonna be your background.
- Create abstract illustrations of people enjoying whatever they do. Remember that people illustrations should be faceless (or almost faceless). Definitely, don’t let anyone recognize facial expressions.
- Your illustrations have to be disproportionate. For example, unnaturally huge legs, or a really small head, or (…).
- Keep everything flat. Avoid blurred shadows and glows.
- Bonus points for applying grain/noise filters on your illustration.
And that’s about it — all you need now are skills and a pretty good idea.
If you don’t believe me, let me show you a few examples from Dribbble.
I think you can now see the pattern, right? It’s all about illustrations. Illustrations in very similar styles. But even though they are almost identical, each of those is quite creative and eye-catching.
And don’t get me wrong — I’m not trying to criticize specific designers (or the design industry). In fact, I wish I had some of their talent and skill. But we are heading towards a specific trend.
Is it a good trend? I generally think it is more human than a Stripe-like style which, to me, is more product-centric & focused on features instead of values. This new trend helps build a connection with the user, creates certain feelings, and just feels more friendly and fun.
I really dig this style and I’d personally love to play with it, so hopefully, I’ll have an opportunity to upload🏀 a shot like it someday :).
The State of Design: Landing Pages & Illustrations — Mid 2018 was originally published in Prototypr on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.