Here’s a video summarising the top career advice tips that have appeared on UXswitch since 2014. Speaking is Design Director at UXswitch, Frank Gaine. The event is IxDA Defuse in Dublin. 5 minutes of your time well spent.
- You need a good portfolio. Period.
- At interview, say ‘I’ when you mean ‘I’
- End an interview with some smart questions
- Ask for a tour of the office
- Statistics will make you feel better if you don’t get the job
- If you get the job, keep a diary of your achievements
- Be open to learning new skills
- Show spunk, get out of your comfort zone
- Spend time with senior practitioners
- Ask for a rise? Ask for a specific amount
- Publicly shout about your designs
- Be visible in the UX industry
- Give back to the UX community when you make it
- Be honest when you want to move on
Thanks to Anthea Blanas, Jay Kaufmann, Richard Lewis, Aaron Kato and the other contributors to our UX career advice centre, number 1 on Google.